This library is housed in the former St. John's Episcopal Church. The church, built in 1895, was damaged by neglect and insensitive renovation. We restored the stone veneer to reverse the effects of time and weathering as well as to maintain the historic quality of the buildings. We installed new roofing, flashing, and sealant systems throughout.
The library was selected by American Libraries as an excellent example of adaptive reuse of an historic building. In addition, it received a Merit Award from the Eastern New York Chapter of the AIA. (Joint venture w/Feibes & Schmitt)
“architecture+ demonstrated an effective knowledge of public libraries which was particularly important in incorporating our concerns without sacrificing the special characteristics of the church.”
Carol H. Clingan, Director, Cohoes Public Library